You can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax if you get the:

The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name. It must only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. It can’t be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.

How to claim

You claim the exemption when you apply for a tax disc.
You can do this online, by phone, by post or at a Post Office that issues tax discs.
You’ll need:

  • your exemption certificate serial number
  • the surname, date of birth and National Insurance number of the exemption certificate holder

Your exemption certificate must be one of the following:

  • certificate of entitlement for DLA
  • statement of entitlement for PIP
  • annual certificate of entitlement
  • DLA404
  • MHS330
  • WPA0442

You must claim at a Post Office that issues tax discs if you’re claiming for a particular vehicle for the first time. You can’t do it online or by phone.